Emma to Joe, 20 February 1923

Maple Lane

Hampton

20th Feby '23

My Dear Son,

I missed my letter-writing on Sunday. Emerson was here "fussing" with the radio and there didn't seem any chance - but if this is mailed in town tomorrow you will get it perhaps as soon as if it had gone via Hampton.

Last week we had some weather - snow storms and then a big wind. It drifted for two days so that the mail man could not get around. That's the first time that has occurred since we lived here so you can judge the amount of snow there is piled up in spots.

I am hoping to get to town (with the milk-man) tomorrow - second time this year - and if it isn't too cold we may jog along to Beulah's. She and "the kid" have been sick she writes, and it does seem about time we paid her a visit in her now home. We have not had any more Grip but they've all been down with it at Aunt Ella's - Last report Grandpa was still in bed.

My! it sounds encouraging to hear you counting the weeks till you will be through - What a long stretch you've had! I wish you could jump right home as you did last year - but I know that's too much to expect. 

I half suspect you are only teasing me - but you don't know how well you succeed when you talk about becoming a Roman Catholic, Joe! Listen - If from Honest conviction and after deliberate study you should tell me that you felt that was the church best suited to your needs - it would hurt awfully, but I'd say "it's all right". But - my dear son - don't even think of such a thing for any less serious reason. That you can regard [?] lightly is a reflection on your being sincere that fills us with self reproach. You know how severely I have let you alone on the subject of religion - and I can't write now as I wish. Won't you any way refrain from any serious step until you have given me a chance to argue my side? I have every confidence in you - dear - but I can't help feeling that a net is spread for your feet in Webbwood this Spring and I wish you well clear of it. Maybe - by expressing my fears this way I've done as much harm as good but I just had to because I love you so and am so proud to be your

Mother

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Emma to Joe, 29 December 1920

Emma to Joe, 11 March 1923