Emma to Joe, 18 October 1923

Maple Lane Farm

Hampton

18th October 1923

My Dear Son,

If I'd stay at home, and quit 'gadding' it might not so often get to be most a month between my letters to you. Two weeks ago we motored down to Newburgh for over Sunday (probably my last visit there - for except for Anson and Ida, there's nothing to attract me there any more). We had great weather for our trip; and on our way home crossed the bay by ferry at Deseronto and followed the 'high shore' down to Picton then by Wellington & to Trenton, seeing most of Prince Edward county, as I've been wanting to do for so long. Then last week on Wednesday we went up to Toronto for the first time since April - visited Uncle A's over night, shopped ('Papa' saw Lloyd George) and got home at three Thursday afternoon.

Saturday Cora Cruse came out for over Sunday and J.G and Mrs Langmaid and Foster S and Hilda with little 'Joe' came to tea Sunday night (No letter-writing that day!) I purchased a new set of dishes in Toronto so as to be prepared for whatever occasions may occur, you know, so that was one fine chance to christen 'em.

Did I mention that the L.A. Zion are giving a chicken-pie supper on 24th? 'spect I'll have to 'buck up' and square myself for being sick a bed last year. Uncle Arthur and Aunt Maude are making some talk of coming down for the event; though I don't really expect them.   Poor Uncle Allen is still confined to the house, can't put a boot on - suffer horrible hip disease - though whether tubercular or not the doctors haven't said.

The big idea just now is apple-picking - Our gang is struggling along alone with the help of both girls while they are at the 'young' orchard (24 bbls yesterday 25 1/2 today) wonderful weather for the job, but as we've had no big rain for dear-knows how long, it is too dry to plow. We expect Everett Cryderman and others if they can be got next week to tackle the big old trees. So far there's about half a crop and very few No 1s at that.

And mind you, Joe, we are going to put in a furnace as soon as some necessary cementing is done in the cellar.

Allen is still jogging along to school happy and free from care (a regular young Jew for swapping and dealing with the other kids in the treasures they carry in their pockets). I suppose we ought to take him to the hospital - but I like to "let well enough alone".

Your Dad enjoyed your letter very much - says its the first he ever got from you - He's going to answer it presently; but how chances are is more than I can say - the invitation made a wonderful appeal I can tell you - It and the pictures - were the whole topic when the Langmaid's were here. The girls 'tro fits' over your whickers (I just told Reford he needn't poke fun - he couldn't produce a beard like that in a dozen years - he says he don't s'pose he'll ever get a chance!) but I am glad to see you looking so well and happy anyway, and I think you very much for the pictures.

A couple of weeks ago I got my glasses changed. These are pretty strong and that or something else has made one eye sore so I am still handicapped.

I sent you some 'Posts" do you want any more?

Keep writing often, dear, to your one and only

Mother

P.S. We had a call the other day from Maud Houck!! and that Miss Powers who used to work in W drugstore. her home is between here & Orono. M is visiting his folks.

Envelope addressed Dear Lake, Ontario, J.J. McF Co. Camp #3

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Emma to Joe, 29 December 1920

Emma to Joe, 2 September 1923

Emma to Joe, 8 December 1919