Emma to Joe, 16 September 1923

Maple Lane

Hampton

16th Sept 1923

My Dear Boy,

The folks are at church - all but the two youngsters playing 'barn' in the corner of the orchard - and 'Ted', sleeping off a cold. And when I sit down to write it's just naturally to you first. There hasn't been a letter from you since I wrote last - here's hoping you haven't been sick or laid up. Maybe I'll hear tomorrow! 

This is a beautiful September day cool enough too; a couple of nights ago there was a frost heavy enough to kill [?? melon views or vines??] and nip corn and tomatoes so they are cutting our corn and silo-filling is set for Thursday - We threshed last week Saturday and now Ted and 'Papa' between them have the threshing debts all paid. The grain turned out pretty well in spite of the dry weather.

'Papa' and I attended Oshawa Fair Tuesday afternoon - saw some good horse races - Reford and D went next day and saw more people (and less of the show!) among them Beulah and family. Norah Grace got first prize as lady driver Carl Wilber's horse & rig, I hear.

Did I tell you about Aunt Ella's lost purse? The morning they were leaving here she discovered her purse was gone - she'd been carrying it around in a knitting (or knitted anyway!) bag sort of thing open topped, you know. The day before she and Grandpa visited over a Love's and Everett & Flossie brought them home about 9 P.M. She recollected that in getting out of their car with this bag in her hand, she dropped her camera out of it outs the ground but a careful search resulted in nothing so they had to go ahead to catch their train home. 'Papa' had us all looking all over the house and yard for several days and went over to Love's for she thought she might have left it there - or in the car - and mind you! besides money, her gold watch was in the thing - finally he put an ad in 'The Reformer' - and that same evening Coulou over here on "6th" (a drover you may remember) 'phoned asking for a description of purse and contents. He found one and was waiting to see a 'lost' ad and though we haven't seen it yet and he says it had less money than she thought she had - it's likely it. Don't that beat all? It must have been on the running-board of Loves' car and dropped off away over there.

9 P.M. Well! since I got that far, we've been out to Eldad Harvest Home service - heard some scrumpshious music - The "Bragg quartett and Mrs Jack Baker &c

And who do you think is married now? Maud Ball, to a man named Maitland living in town.

Did we tell you that we have Lyda Taylor for teacher now - she boards at 'Art Stainton's - Doris S is attending Bowmanville High School - Stanley ?? is taking music lessons from Mrs (Rev.) Jones.

'Abbie Balson is coming in the morning to pick Culvert & Rolph apples. There won't be many no. 1 of either variety, but fall apples are poor all around here so they're bringing a good price "they say".

Joe, I am sending you some 'Posts - let me know if they reach you in good enough shape to be worth anything, and if they do, I will repeat the dose. We are not taking it now, but get a copy pretty near every week. 

I never said what I thought about your real estate deal, did I? Well! Houses & land are always good things to buy - if you don't pay too high a price. I don't believe I know yet just which house Smith used to live in - is it the one Mrs McPhee used to live in - or where Howard Gougeon live when he was in W, first time? or don't you remember that? 'Don't matter anyhow. 

Last Sunday night about this time I was writing to Douglas when the 'phone rang - Central says "Sudbury is calling" and there was Douglas speaking from Espanola - I hadn't written for so long (before he was in Toronto I'm ashamed to say) and he just wanted to know if we were all right. 

Well, dear son, I'm getting a kink in my next from writing so steadily; so I had better bring these few remarks to a close. 'Hope you're writing to me this minute -

Goodnight,

Mother

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Emma to Joe, 29 December 1920

Emma to Joe, 2 September 1923

Emma to Joe, 8 December 1919