Emma to Joe, 14 May 1923

Maple Lane

Hampton

14th May '23

My Dear Joe,

Anymore it seems the better chance I have to write the more difficult it becomes for me to settle down to it. All week I think how many letters I will write on Sunday and when the time comes it seems harder than ever - I see I have written one letter since I wrote to you in March! And, some how the people I write to are growing fewer all the time.

Well! we've seen some fine (and rare too) samples of Ontario weather since Easter haven't we? There was frost (white) again last night - last Wednesday it snowed for an hour or more, faster and bigger flakes than I ever saw before, and yet the grain is up, green and growing. The maples are almost leafed out. Things look fine - only it stays so cold.

We have fire in the box stoves every evening if not all day, and Allen's wood and ashes job seems likely to last all summer. I managed to catch a first-prize cold in my journeying around. Doris told you I went to Berta's funeral - of course and I went with "Papa" and Mr. Stainton to Toronto at the time of the milk-producer's meeting and have found it most "sticking". I have shaken off most of it now, except the buzzing and humming in my ear. That always makes me cross.

They have plowed up the old garden - berry-bushes and all [missing line] are making this year's garden in the west orchard. If everything grows it is going to be the garden of this community. Not even excepting Mumford's (he got his all in three weeks ago.) O! I must tell you, Mrs & Miss Mumford walked over (across the fields - mind you) and returned my call the other day, and I like Mrs. M very well - she's quite free and unaffected Miss M is very English - made me think of what Aunt Maggie Hews must have been like at - say 28 though of course she was never English, but I know lots of people I would find it harder to get along with than the new neighbors.

Our radio was working fine once since you were here, but now it is back in Emerson's room for repairs or something. He wanted us to go in tonight to test it - perhaps we will tomorrow.

Stanley was over Sunday at Beulah's.

Bert Northcott's man left him 1st May, and being unable to run cows, farm, garage and all he is offering farm, herd, threshing outfit, etc., for sale by auction 19th inst. J. G. Langmaid, Chas Lauder who used to own the hardware store in Oshawa and Bert Northcott bought out Jackson's Garage business in O lately, including the agency for Chevrolet and Oakland cars. Mrs. Sam Northcott, Bert's & George's mother, the first woman I got acquainted with in these parts died a couple of weeks ago. 

Cecil Pascoe's approaching marriage to  Elsie Naylor was announced in last week's paper.           

Chris was most sick enough to stay home from school this morning but went tonight. He is no better: no school for him tomorrow - he just swallowed his first pill, and it took near the whole family to get him outside of it.

Tell us all about "the drive" and "how she's loggin" when you write. It's apt to be different this year - and we are all interested anyway.

Your loving

Mother

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Emma to Joe, 29 December 1920

Emma to Joe, 20 February 1923

Emma to Joe, 11 March 1923