Emma to Joe, 30 May 1919

Maple Lane Farm

Hampton R.R. 1

30th May 1919

My Dear Son,

Your letter has been delayed this time because I have had several unexpected ones to write. 

Have you heard, I wonder, of Bill McMillan's death? It occurred 23d of pneumonia (flu, I guess) after three week's illness. I am anxious to hear from Espanola again. They escaped so wonderfully when nearly everyone else had the "flu" in the Winter.

I got a letter from "Gramp Aylie" just a few days ago. It was pretty shaky but he is keeping remarkably well. He hopes to visit us again this Summer and my! Joe, if you can get down to see them this year they will be tickled. Bertha spoke so often last summer of their disappointment at not seeing you. 

We are looking for Gramp Chant next week - did I tell you before? He wants to attend Conference which is at Whitby this year - and as it begins 18th June - he will be coming soon. 

Things are looking lovely around here now - though it has been a "late" Spring- the lilacs are just out - the "young" orchard is a sight - the 1st four rows of trees couldn't be any fuller of bloom and the rest have a lot on - There's new wire fence around the old orchard and mangles planted in there. Our eight spotted calves pasture in the new orchard - back of the house you know, and the pigs have the southeast corner fenced off tor them - the Big tree nearest the barn is simply white with blossoms. Grampa C. was convinced it was a "King" tree but it bore "Spy" apples last year. This isn't a "Duchess" year - but there may prove to be enough to last a week or so till others are fit. The cherry tree and all the plum trees have been white with blossoms but some of the garden raspberries seem dead. One can't have everything at once. I s'pose. We are hitting the rhubarb pretty hard nowdays. 

We are having a kind of protracted manure bee (you know what for). This week - two days Stainton's man & team were here hauling out to Ted on the spreader - our team too of course, with Charles driving and today Langmaid's man ("doc" Spry - did you get to know him? He's quite an old character around here) is here. They are getting the front field (pea-field last year) ready for corn.

Last Sunday was Eldad anniversary - My! they had a crowd. We went out for the afternoon service - young things went at night. Our day is next Sunday. Last Wednesday the church women met at Zion and scrubbed it from gallery to shed - I know for I was there. And the men spent two days or more and made cement walks, cleaned the shed, shingled the porch, etc., so we're ready for visitors now.

Fred Cameron returned from England, reaching home Sunday night. Last Friday Beulah took her long-talked-of trip to Toronto and Teddy went along. They got back at night, tired enough, never got out of Eaton's and didn't see all of it.  

A new baby boy arrived at A. T. Stanton's this week. You should see Miriam these days. She lives out doors rolling around on a blanket happy and fat. We have begun to take pictures of her now, so we hope to soon have some to send you. Allen is as brown as an Indian.

Well! my dear - I wasn't so shocked to hear you've been taking dancing lessons (You wouldn't get much practise in the immediate neighborhood.) but the right kind of dancing helps a young man handle his extremities less awkwardly. And I am glad you've got a girl - and I hope she is the nicest one yet. I meant to say some more about that, but I've written so much now. I trust you won't do anything rash before I have time to write again anyway. And I do hope you will take advantage of the first chance to get home. It is going on two years now dear. I am sorry this letter is so late and hope you get it promptly.

Your loving Mother

Envelope addressed Echo Bay, Box 3, Ontario, J.C. P. Rush, Foreman Painter

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Emma to Joe, 29 December 1920

Emma to Joe, 20 February 1923

Emma to Joe, 11 March 1923