Emma to Joe, 26 October 1922

Maple Lane

Hampton

26th October 1922

My Dear Son,

When your letter came Doris allowed she'd answer this time - tonight she confessed that she hadn't done it "yet" - so here I am starting a letter almost bed-time Thursday. that might just as well have been on it's way Monday morning. 

Mrs. Stainton's class are having a sort of Halloween social tomorrow night and Doris is being [illegible] shirts of a [illegible] (you know the kind of thing and making out (illeg)) etc. for it. They are to go "masked" and in costume - just fancy! think of me with at least three of 'em to fix up! this conveniently is getting too strenuous for me any way -- The ladies Aid are giving a chicken pie supper next Wednesday. I'll bake for it what I'm asked to do - but I've no intention of going near it. Which will give some of 'em a "jolt". 

Dr. Sleemon advised me to cut out "doin's" as far as possible for some time. I was pretty sick- Joe, and yet there was nothing serious wrong sluggish liver - jaundiced complexion, upset stomach - awful dizzy head - I simply fell over every time I sat or stood up. Scared the girls and their "Dad" half to death "Mother" taking fainting spells! I didn't actually faint at all only got dizzy and fell. Anyway I am better and if I keep quiet not likely to have so severe an attack again. So don't worry about me. Doctor gave me the most thorough going over I'd ever had (blood pressure was below normal) Now - let's forget it. 

When you get to reading your "Posts" don't skip an article called "Illustrated by" - in the 12st Oct's number. It makes all the pictures interesting.

When "Papa" read your last letter he said - "sounds as if Joe'd be getting married again in the Spring" I s'pose you know Punch's famous "advice to those about to marry ---don't" If I could talk to you I s'pect I'd offer you wisdom you wouldn't appreciate - but it's difficult in writing. One thing, dear, if I am ever foolish enough to say a little of all I think you are not to suppose it's prejudice on account of "her" (any particular her) anyway, I haven't time to go into the subject tonight so you'll escape for the present.

Today being in Oshawa with a wagon-load of apples some sold and some not. Your "dad" shipped you a bbb of Tolman Sweets by express. If they reach you safely you will know whether it will pay you to have more sent. These grew in J. G. Langmaid's orchard - after they got all they wanted he sold the rest to "Papa" - on the trees - Mumfords are living there now. 

Miss M has arrived from England this week. They've renamed the farm ... Acres I suggested "somethings" well not "back" (you know what Jim Carrier said his Mrs was!) but the school kids can't remember what kind of "Acres" it is. 

There's a letter from "Prof. Chant in Star Weekly likely the first of a series - among other things he tells that "griffs" were allowed in their camp - know what that means? Why-bear as because when they're just starting they look "Griff" you needed a shave - Who'd think it of a distinguished scientist?

Well, Dear boy, I love to write to you (and get your letters) but I s'pose I'd better get my sleep nights now that I've quit sleeping day times. 

Love from all,

Mother

Envelope addressed Dear Lake, Ontario McF & M. Camp 6

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Emma to Joe, 29 December 1920

Emma to Joe, 20 February 1923

Emma to Joe, 11 March 1923