Emma to Joe, 20 December 1920

Maple Lane Farm

Hampton R.R. 1

20th Dec 1920

My Dear Boy,

Last week your letter didn't get here till Friday - and then you never mentioned Christmas so we are divided in our opinions about your plans. But I'll send this anyway; and if I don't get some word to the contrary I'll pack a parcel for you in with the other things for North Bay - as I suppose if you don't get home you will be out that far over Sunday. 

It is getting kind o' excited and "Xmasy" around here now, but with mild weather and no sleighing it is very hard for me to realise that Christmas comes before the week is out. 

Uncle Anson actually got here for overnight Thursday last - drove in to Oshawa with Papa and me and a load of milk on Friday to catch a GTR train at 10:20 AM (My first trip to town since you went away!) Very quiet in town and store keepers inclined to be "grouchy" because of "no Christmas trade" I couldn't notice much of a drop in prices of things I was after but ready made clothing is really falling rapidly to pre-war prices - I'm mad tonight because I see in Eaton's January sale things have gone about 25% lower than they were when Doris and I were up there a month ago. By Spring you'll be able to outfit yourself for less than half what it would have cost in the Fall. 

Doris can't remember whether she told you about Frank Pascoe going to the hospital to undergo the operation for appendicitis - He's getting along fine anyway - and now Harvey Brooks is there for the same thing and Wes Langmaid is home with scarlet fever - quarantined for 6 weeks.

Mr Totten was here for dinner yesterday. Norman Leach today - he & Papa made & hung big doors on the implement shed. (Now they have to be painted!) A young Coulon (?) from Ross's corners has taken the job of hauling milk.

We expect Beulah and Charles on Friday - She is to get her teeth in Wednesday. 

Threshing clover seed at J. G. Langmaid's today.

Well - Joe dear - here's wishing you a very Happy Christmas wherever you are, and may the coming year before you be the best yet.

With love from each & all

Your Mother

Doris has learned to play (illegible word) !!

Envelope addressed Whiterock A.B. Gordon Camp 5

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Emma to Joe, 29 December 1920

Emma to Joe, 20 February 1923

Emma to Joe, 11 March 1923