Emma to Joe, 20 April 1919

Maple Lane

Hampton R.R. 1

Easter Sunday

My Dear Joe,

Every since your last letter arrived I've been going to write but the evenings are growing shorter and the days seem pretty busy right along. 

We are following the fashion of our neighbors this year and sticking to "sun-time" and last Sunday Mr Brown put it to a vote at church when service should be and they wouldn't have it changed i.e. it is at 11:30 new time.

It was raining this morning but there were over 40 out - 3 from here and twice as many at S.S. Did it blow up there Good Friday? It did here. All day and from the North East at that. We've had a lot of rain and very little sunshine this spring - but the grass is getting green - onions and rhubarb are growing and seeding is commencing.

"Ted" is home from school for the season. 

Charles comes for a day or two (when he can't see anything else to do.) and for evenings rather oftener - He and Beulah went to Hampton church tonight. 

The club repeated their "drama" in the church here last Monday and are to give it at Thornton's corners west of Oshawa next Wednesday. 

Did I tell you "Papa" and I went down to "Ebenezer to Georgie Pearcie's to a party, a couple of weeks ago? I have been planning a visit to "Gramp Aylie" - guess maybe I will make it out this week. Don't know if I can induce the express train to stop at Solina for me or not. 

Mrs Cornell has moved to Oshawa. Ayrs live where Trull's did. Laws are in their new house - Walter Armour's are gone - out on the big McLaughlin farm north of Oshawa - I guess I told you this George Armour has been laid up - but was out today.    

They are all poking fun at me because I've got my name in the papers - Globe at that - see clipping - Now you know exactly as much about it as I do - but Papa pretends to be worried about me getting to be a "suffragette"! Write often dear and keep well.

Your loving

Mother


 

PS Monday morning

I am glad to get the picture but it isn't near as good as one you sent before (taken with Ab Collins) I have it - your half - in a little frame and think a lot of it.

I meant to tell you about a letter from Granpa C - he was anxious to know if we had heard of you getting hurt. Your girl in N. B. had heard that your "arms was out of joint" !! Along early in April that must have been - I didn't worry much - for I had just had a letter from you and soon got another but it just goes to show how much news travels - The mail man comes by D S time now wh brings him along before one by our clock 

My! this is one lovely morning - goodbye again

Envelope addressed Garden River, French Bay Lbr Co., Camp 1 

[Note: Emma, "Mrs. S.G. Chant", was elected municipal vice-president for Hampton for the West Durham Liberal Association" according to the Globe for 14 April 1919 (meeting held on 12th)]

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Emma to Joe, 29 December 1920

Emma to Joe, 20 February 1923

Emma to Joe, 11 March 1923