Emma to Joe, 16 February 1919

 

Maple Lane

Hampton R.R. 1

16th Feby 1919

My Dear Son,

You thought it was a long time since any of us had written and I was quite sure you had the flu because we had not heard for over two weeks - then after papa had written I got the idea that you were planning to drop in some evening and surprise us.

Anyway, now we are all well. I kind o' hope you are in Espanola - the camps seem so far away - but I am sending this to Webbwood for fear they might not find you so easy from any other Post Office. Be sure to write as soon as you get this so we'll know where you are.

This has been a queer winter all over. I guess. We've had no sleighing since 2nd week of Jany. Papa sent the "demi-cart" (as Allen calls it) over to Hampton to be put on the "bobs" - before Christmas and last week Ted went and brought it home again on wheels with the runners on top. Tonight it is snowing out it is so mild not likely anything will come of it. Great year to own a car!

Mr. Stainton is still running his - He took Papa to Toronto to the Holsteins Breeders Association meeting one day last week - They went out to Uncle Arthur's to supper and there to a show and got home here to sleep (a little).

Last week I took a notion to have neuralagia for an hour or so every day: when it because fairly monotonous your Dad phoned Dr. Sleemon and he came and gave me some dope and worse than that made me agree to go by to the dentist this week and have all my teeth pulled. Maybe I don't dread it! He is to go along and give me an anisthetic [sic].

We had two gravel bus last week and would have had the third if it had not rained Friday. A rogue team's hauling four loads each per day. Makes quite a pile of gravel. we fed ?? dinner and supper both days and it meant quite a spell of cooking.

Most everybody has had a "wood bee". We're invited to one at W. J. Langmaid's Tuesday. Geo. Armour and Febee Wood got married lately and Walter A and his wife are leaving their neighborhood. He has been the Adult Bible class teacher so long there will be farewell doing's of some sort (likely while I am leading a retired life as a toothless old body.) 

Practises for the play go merrily on three nights a week now. 

Charles was here last week till Thursday then he went home to have "the flu" but as he is around again tonight I judge he didn't succeed very well. 

Tell us all the Webbwood news you can gather, Joe. J.C.'s letters - which are too far apart and Lee Valley items in Sudbury Star is all we get. Too bad there isn't any Webbwood correspondant now.

Joe dear don't be afraid I'll worry if you tell me more about yourself and how it goes with you in every way. It seems such a long time since I saw my own dear boy.

with faithful love,

Your mother

Envelope address to Webbwood

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Emma to Joe, 20 February 1923

Emma to Joe, 4 February 1923

Emma to Joe, 29 December 1920