Emma to Joe, 10 December 1918

 

Maple Lane

10th Dec. 1918

My Dear Joe,

I guess I've time for a little letter before I start to make our daily pie. Doris wrote Sunday and was slightly vexed when she got home from school last night to find it had not been mailed. Beulah got your letter yesterday.

We'll send the skates today and maybe the boots too - you took 'em apart last Spring to wear the boots to football practise - remember? I'd think the boots are too small for you now. But if we can make a decent parcel of them we'll send them along.

We are having fine, clear, frosty weather here now. It ought to spoil "the flu". But there isn't snow enough for sleighing. 

Last Wednesday Papa took me over to Stainton's to a Ladies' Aid meeting in the cutter and Friday night Beulah went to Oshawa station to meet Uncle Anson (C.N.R. express trains won't stop at Solina now.) with the cutter - but it was just about as good wheeling and the roads are quite bare now. Papa blowed up to 30th Nov then he put all the implements away. Though several old residents have told him he'd be wanting to plow again as they usually can up to Christmas! 

Well! Son, I am glad to think of you as being among friends - though you generally manage to be that wherever you are - don't you? I s'pose the folks would think I'm queer to encourage you to go braking (and in some ways I hate to think of it myself this time of year) - but I consider the C.P.R. a pretty good concern to work for. There's always room & chance for promotion and they are pretty good to their own too. And I don't suppose you calculate to stay a brakesman always, eh? It's all right to help Uncle Stan if he wants you through the holiday rush. Maybe you are cut out for a business man - This is a chance to find out if you've any talent leaning that way. 

I am not trying to meddle (I mean I'm trying not to meddle) but if you use one of your passes to go up to Messey [Massey] - do take the time and trouble necessary to go to Espanola to see Douglas. I know they are feeling kind o hurt - they always hear when you've been up that way and they think you don't care enough to stop and see them. See if "Jackie"'ll think you're his Dad. Allen called Douglas "Joe" all the time they were here.

Papa was in bed two days last week (stomach again) and of course everybody thought we were in for the fl.

Beulah says tell you she's going to write first day there's no dishes to wash. Rats! She doesn't do 'em all!

Nora & Fred Robins here to dinner Sunday ah ha "Chas" needs a pace-maker. Miriam is calling.

With love, your

Mother

Envelope addressed North Bay, Box 1026

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Emma to Joe, 29 December 1920

Emma to Joe, 11 March 1923

Emma to Joe, 4 February 1923